Monday, June 21, 2010

What we can achieve.

What a great father's day weekend I had. I spent time with my family and my girls and really enjoyed the time we had together. On Saturday I did absolutely nothing and truly relaxed as I had my Tri on Sunday. Sunday was here before I knew it and as usual I did not get much sleep, but it is expected.
I woke up Sunday at 5:05 Am, got me some coffee and the morning and started my routine. I stretched for about 30 minutes and around 5:50 I made me a smoothie full of veggies and fruits. We left the house at 6:00 and got the event around 6:15. To my amazement it was already packed with athletes.
All week my goal was to beat my previous time last year of 1:30 but I was doubting myself because I was in much better shape last year and I worked harder and was more prepared than this year. Unfortunatley, my training has not been where I would like it to be this year, but at this point all I could do was my best.
Last year a good friend of mine, George Jones told me to take it all in and enjoy the hard work. So, this year like last year I was soaking it all in and was loving every second of the event.
The event quickly started and we were off, I felt really good on the swim and came out the water and headed to the bike. Got on the bike and was also feeling really good, peddaling well and not getting too tired. The true test would be after the bike, and my legs. Once i got off the bike my legs were a little tight but I fought through it. Being that I knew what to expect this year, that really helped out a lot.
Around mile 2, the cramps kicked in and i was hurting... However, I slowed my breath and concentrated and kicked it up a notch. once I started hearing people, I stepped it up and finished strong. To my amazement I killled my time from last year. I finished at 1:22, and so of course I started to think what I could have done better to have finished in under 1:20.

Distance
Short
Clock Time
1:22:58
Chip Time
1:22:58
Overall Place
128 / 479
Gender Place
107 / 249
Division Place
30 / 56
Tot Div
468
Tot Gend
243
Tot Ag
56
500M Swim Rank
208
500M Swim Time
11:31
500M Swim Pace
2:18/M
T1 Time
02:57
14M Bike Rank
100
14M Bike Time
41:59
14M Bike Pace
20.0mph
T2 Time
01:32
3M Run Rank
139
3M Run Time
24:55
3M Run Pace
8:18/M

I actually knew I would beat my time when I got ouf of the water, and I was no longer doubting myself. I was looking at my watch for my pace and when I got off the bike I knew unless I got hurt I would shatter my time last year. The mind is a beautiful thing, and if you truly believe you can do something, you definitely can. Next year, 1:15 is my Goal and a top 10 finish.. Until then, lot of training.

Onward.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Coach Pete!!! You definitely made us proud!

    ReplyDelete