Thursday, November 15, 2012

San Antonio Rock N Roll, Live and Learn

As an athlete you are taught not to do anything race day you have not done in training.  lesson Learned and a perfect example.  for weeks I had trained for my SA Rock N Roll half marathon, and was hoping to PR.  Everything was set and ready to complete my third PR in as many events.
Race day came, and unlike most practices I decided to take an energy drink (All natural) that i had never taken before a race.  In addition, in all my runs, I had eliminated my need for GU as I had not been drinking coffee but Green Tea instead.
Yep, first mistake...
As we took off for the first mile, I felt a stitch, right away.. Fought through the stitch and just dealt with it.  Was feeling really good, and times were a little better than the plan.  Mile 2, 3, 4.... came and went and was feeling strong.  Hills were fine, and was cruising.  Began to pick up speed every mile-just like the plan.
Then, boom....... Mile 10 came and began to have an upset stomach, but never like anything I had experienced.  my tummy felt as if I had to vomit, and every step I took got harder and harder.  Eventually at about 10 1/2 i could not take it anymore and I decided to walk.  This is when the wheels came off.  I felt as if i had hit a wall altough my legs and mind were fine.  The pain was bad, but I fought through it due to proper training.
I ended up finishing the race, but sure did add time to my finish.  Went from a pace to a killing of my last PR to still a PR, but not what I wanted.
Lessons we learn, and at the 3M, I plan on following the plan 100%.... Here is to my next PR.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment